We had our first call with Chuck, our project partner this past week. During the call, we showed him our fireframe for a new application from last quarter, as well as the wireframe of adapting the layout of the existing web app to be more vertical. His priority is to have the best product possible, so he’s very excited about the idea of a mobile application/significantly enhanced user experience for his employees. Unfortunately, coding a mobile application from scratch does not work well with his priority of wanting a working product by the end of this quarter. We decided to allocate some time in our coming meetings to evaluate the possibility of using low-code or no-code solutions again, since an optimal user experience, and is a high priority for him. We also looked at trying to change the code base for the existing web app, to create a benchmark to compare alternative solutions to.
Chuck will also be adding us to a groupchat with some of his employees so that we can communicate directly with them as we work through making changes to the web app.
Coding: Some Progress!
We started playing around with changing the layout of the web app to being more vertical:
We’re going from the images on the left to the images on the right.
We had some success in changing the layout of a small number of buttons and text, although we ran into problems with the Create Box page in the fermentation. We’ve since reached out to the head TA from CS 147, the React coding course on campus, for some help. For this coming week, we’re hoping to figure out how to make this layout change without experiencing the errors we’re seeing, so that we can work to implement these on more of the web app.