This week we got to see the project really start coming together. With Austin’s page for navigation, we were able to combine barcode generation and fast data entry together on the same web app, enabling users to move from one page to the other smoothly. Additionally, we had the opportunity to connect with our partner and discuss the future of the project. Charles from Zorzal gave us valuable information in terms of what he envisioned the site looking like in the future. In particular he gave us an idea of what statistics he would need for the advanced data entry page where we enter more fine-grain data into the database for storage. He also discussed what aggregate statistics he would like to see incorporated into the website like the overall quality of a container of beans. We were happy to hear that these were the aggregate statistics that most interested him as they would be easier to implement than statistics that related to all entries in the database.
Charles also mentioned the possibility of Zorzal employees attempting a remote deployment of our project despite quarantine currently preventing us from traveling. This means that we are resuming full-scale development on the logistical side of this project. We are looking into ordering printing hardware for ourselves and potentially Zorzal as the project progresses. Currently, we are also trying to setup interviews with Zorzal employees, looking at ways to deal with the language barrier during these interviews.
Looking forward we are hoping to have printing capabilities established in the next week while we put together some more of the functionality of the web app. This includes extending our existing functionality to accommodate some of the finer points discussed during out meeting with Zorzal this week as well as cleaning up the overall code and design of the site.